Achieve Your Goals
Practice TOEFL Writing
What you must know for the TOEFL iBT Independent Writing Task.
- Your essay must clearly state your opinion on the topic and support it with strong reasons, details, explanations, facts, or examples.
- An effective essay will contain at least 300 words (About 3 or 4 paragraphs).
- You will have 30 minutes to plan, write, and rewrite your essay.
- Your essay must be well developed and not just a list of information.
- Your essay must be organized with transitional words to help readers connect ideas
- You must use a variety of grammar and vocabulary
- Must follow the conventions of spelling, punctuation, and word order.
Practice writing before you take the test!
Winter 2021 Special
“Simple, but Rigorous”
College Writing Updates
College Writing Posts
Student Question: Why do Students Drop Out of High School?February 18, 2021/
What’s the difference between cohesion and coherence?February 2, 2021/
College Writing 301
Winter 2021 Special
Special ends February 28, 2021
College Writing 301 covers the steps in writing an academic essay. You will learn and master summary writing, academic reading, in-text citations, and cohesion and coherence.
College Writing 401
College Writing 401 is designed to further build a foundation for college level writing. This course is for high-intermediate, non-native speakers of English who plan to attend a university in the United States and need to master academic reading and writing skills.
Improve TOEFL iBT Writing Scores
Coherence & Cohesion
What does Coherence and Cohesion mean? Are they the same, or are they different?
Coherence and Cohesion is one of the four Writing Band Descriptors you will be graded on when you take the IELTS. In this workshop, we will discuss and practice writing cohesive and coherent paragraphs.
Writing Effective Sentences
Writing Effective Sentences is currently in session. Students enrolled in this Skill Course are learning to write effective sentences and avoid common mistakes.
In addition, the course covers paragraph organization.
If you would like to join the course, go to One-Day Workshop: Writing Effective Sentences and sign up.
One-Day Workshop Posts
Paragraph Organization [topic sentence, body, conclusion]October 25, 2020/
Know the Rule for “a” and “an” [and the exceptions]October 25, 2020/
The SkillCourse mission is to help students achieve their personal and academic goals by creating and providing skill-based courses in reading, writing, and listening.