Question: When do we use it’s, and when do we use its?
When we mean it is or it has, we use it’s. (Contraction)
- It’s a beautiful day. (It is)
- It’s been raining all day. (It has)
- Sometimes it’s hard to get up in the morning. (It is)
When we talk about something that belongs to it, we use its. (Possessive: Its challenge).
- The documentary discusses Japan and its temples.
- The computer is broken. Its hard-drive does not work.
- A new bank has been started in the community. Its services include free checking and online banking.